Bomb Chicken is an exploration puzzle platformer that was released for Nintendo Switch on July 12, 2018 in the Americas and Europe, and in Japan on November 1, 2018. The game will be released later on Steam for PC and Mac as well. Bomb Chicken was first announced on March 16th, 2017, and posted to Steam Greenlight the same day. On March 20th, 2018, Nitrome announced that the game would be released for the Nintendo Switch. On December 20th later that year, Nitrome announced on twitter that the game will be ported to Xbox One and PS4. On March 16, 2019, Nitrome announced the game would have a physical release for the Nintendo Switch and PS4 on March 29 later that month. The player controls a chicken that can lay multiple bombs.
Lay bombs to Destroy, Shield, Climb, Dig, Roll, Bounce and Burn in this explosive exploration platformer. After a freak accident a seemingly ordinary chicken becomes a bomb laying free range hero! Discover the darkest kept secret of the fast food giant known as BFC and their best selling, addictive blue hot sauce and answer the ultimate question which came first the chicken or the bomb?
- Analog stick  - Move chicken
- All other buttons - Lay Bomb
The Steam version of the game will have controller support.
The player plays as a chicken that can lay bombs and lay multiple bombs on top of each other, the chicken moving upwards when doing this. These bombs will explode after a period of time. The player can kick them by touching them, which will cause them to move straight in the direction they were kicked. These bombs can kill enemies and also harm the player.
Bomb Chicken has three explorable worlds with a total of 29 levels. The first is set in a BFC factory, the second in a jungle, the third in a lava-filled Temple.
- Slimes - Jumps in an arc. Can be killed by kicking a bomb into them.
- Dark helmet slimes - Seen stationary and jumping around. Can be killed by many bombs.
- Natives - Initially stationary, but will dash towards the player upon them appearing in front or behind them. Can be killed by a bomb explosion.
- Plants - Shoots seeds upward.
- BFC workers - Walks horizontally or are stationary. Can be killed by bombs or landing on their head. Kills the player on contact. Workers wearing different headwear are encountered.
- Masked turnips - Walks. Can occur embedded in the ground with only their stem visible and then jump out and begin walking. Can be killed by landing on their head.
- Bats - Fly horizontally. Can be killed by bombs.
- Big Beetle - Encountered sleeping, but wakes when encountered by the player. Roars when awoken, then begins spinning and moves toward the player. Can be stunned, whereupon it can be damaged by bombs.
- Flaming skulls - Flies in a zig-zag pattern. Kills the player on contact. Can be temporarily stunned by bombs.
- Bomb bats- Flies in a homing fashion. Detonates bombs on contact. Can also be killed by bombs.
- Chicken God - Encountered sleeping, but wakes when encountered by the player. Can shoot blue bombs and fire a blue laser which both kill the player on contact. Has blue gem spots which stun when destroyed. When stunned, it can be damaged and killed by bombs.
- Saws - Activated by certain buttons. Moves horizontally and kills player on contact.
- Spike squares - Unknown.
- Turrets - Automatically moves on a track. Locks on to the player and fires bullets.
- Lava balls - Fired up from lava.
- Chicken chopper - Left-moving saw that is activated by a button.
- Spikes - Kills the player on contact.
- Arrow shooting rocks - Shoots arrows. Arrows are redirected downwards if they hit a bomb.
- Blue hot sauce - Coats platforms and propels up a line of spikes that travels along it.
- Crushers - Moves vertically and will kill the player if it crushes them.
- Bombs - Can be produced in an unlimited amount by the player. They glow and explode after a few seconds. Can kill the player. Can be pushed horizontally pushed by the player and bounced in many directions by screens.
- Buttons - Activate game components.
- Conveyor belts - Moves entities on it to the left.
- One-way chutes - Drops the player downwards and cannot be passed from below.
- Pipes - Takes the player to another room when entered.
- Red doors - Takes the player to another room.
- Barrels - Moves forward when pushed and can destroy blocks.
- Screens - Placed diagonally at corners. Can bounce bombs in many directions.
- Cards - Can be collected and used to pass yellow-light gates.
- Gems - Can be collected and spent at shrines.
- Treasure chests - Opened with a bomb explosion. Contains gems.
- Cards - Can be collected and used to pass yellow-light gates.
- Destructible blocks - Can be destroyed by bombs. Some blocks have gems on them, which yield gems when destroyed.
- Wooden barriers - Can be destroyed by bombs.
- Gates - Blocks the players path. Red-light gates are lifted by activating a switch while yellow-light gates require the player to have a card.
- March 16th, 2017 - Nitrome first announces the game via Twitter with a trailer. A copy of the trailer is also uploaded to their YouTube channel.
- March 18th, 2017 - Bomb Chicken is 74% of the way to being in the top 100 games on Steam Greenlight.
- March 19th, 2017 - The game is announced to be 90% of the way to the top 100 games on Steam Greenlight. It later enters the top 100 list and at spot 98.
- March 20th, 2017 - Bomb Chicken reaches spot 56 on the Steam Greenlight rankings.
- March 21st, 2017 - The game climbs to spot 44.
- March 22nd, 2017 - Bomb Chicken reaches spot number 34.
- March 23rd, 2017 - The game ranks 25th on Steam Greenlight.
- March 24th, 2017 - Bomb Chicken reaches spot 20 on Steam Greenlight.
- March 25th, 2017 - Bomb Chicken climbs to spot 17 on Steam Greenlight.
- March 28th, 2017 - Bomb Chicken is greenlit on Steam Greenlight.
- March 20th, 2018 - Bomb Chicken is announced for Nintendo Switch.
- December 20th, 2018 - Nitrome announces on Twitter plans to port Bomb Chicken to Xbox One and PS4.
- March 16, 2019 - Bomb Chicken is announced a physical release date of March 29th for PS4 and Nintendo Switch.
Bomb Chicken was originally being developed for the iOS and Android systems, but later shifted to being a PC title as Nitrome felt that the game's gameplay was more suited for that platform and it was also a platform they had been interested in pursuing. Bomb Chicken was announced on March 16th, 2017, and was posted to Steam Greenlight on this day. On March 19th, the game entered the top 100 Steam Greenlight games, and from then until March 25th ranked higher and higher in the top 100. The game was greenlit on March 28th. On May 16th, Nitrome mentioned that the game was very likely going to be released in 2017, but later in November said that the game would not be meeting this date.
When asked about adding adding Steam trading cards, the game's soundtrack in some form, achievements, and leaderboards, Nitrome said that they will likely be added. Nitrome mentioned that a version of the game for Macintosh computers was likely, but one for the Linux operating system would require consideration.