|Classic||Followed by ⇨||Winter|
|Released||Before/on November 16th 2006, but after November 8th 2006|
|Link||Click here to use this skin!|
|Main feature||First Nitrome games|
|Special||Nitrome's first skin|
The Classic skin was the first skin used on Nitrome.com. It is mostly pink and has many Nitrome characters that appeared in many early Nitrome games, characters up to Scribble, and also including balloons from Hot Air 2. This skin first began being used on Nitrome.com 1.2, at the time being the only selectable skin.
| Interactive skin
The image below is an interactive skin. Mouse over anywhere to see the description of that object. Click on it to read more.
Near these two hills, there is a gust of wind, and Hot Air is near the tip of it with a smile, unknown to him that a dragon worm underwater follows him. Near the hill with dancing blots is another hill with a gust of wind going half way around it, and a chick sitting on top of a huge treasure chest on top of the hill. To the right of the hill with the chick on top of the chest, there is a hill a bit smaller (and closer to the water) with two smaller hills in the water.
On top of the mountain is a portal with three sleepwalker walking out of it, unknown to them that they are being watched by a nightmare. The third Sleepwalker has walked off the hill, and is going to fall to his death in the water, with the other two on solid ground following him. There is another bunch of four hills, with the first one having a paint blower with a drop of paint coming out of his mouth, and paint below him.
To the right of the hill with the blower, is a hill that has three smaller hills, and a hermit crab on one of them. On the hill is a caterpillar doodle which doesn't know about the two planes flying above it (with two legged characters as the pilot) that are dropping drills on it.
Near the hill with the doodle on it is another hill which has a chick beside a sign that is pointing to another hill with a house on it. This hill has two much smaller hills located at the bottom of the mountain. On top of the hill is a house, and to the left of the house is a two legged character.
- Hot Air 2 - The presence of the house with a happy face and eyes is an indicator of Hot Air 2, where the same house appears in the opening and is subsequently the house of Hot Air's wife. Also, the Balloons sold by the brain have designs used for Balloons in Hot Air 2
- Aquanaut - The hermit crabs that appear here appear in Aquanaut, although the presence of the crabs and their appearance in a game are likely coincidental.
The Classic skin features Nitrome characters from Nitrome's first six games. The game hints both Hot Air 2 and Aquanaut, both which have elements from the respective game in the skin before those elements appeared in the game.
Although close to all characters in the skin appear in a game or are set to appear in a game, a few characters in the skin never appear in a game. These characters are:
The spherical creatures in the skin - one seen next to a house that is meant to be Nitrome Towers, and two in a plane - were actually part of an unreleased Nitrome game. This Nitrome game was in development prior to the release and during the creation of the Classic skin, which would have placed its development prior to November 16th 2006, but was then soon cancelled[note 1].
This game would be a puzzle game[note 1] that required the use of the mouse, to either guide robots that would be used for puzzle solving[note 1] or robots that would be controlled by some other method and the player solved puzzles with the mouth.[note 1]
The game's cancellation was because "there was not enough to it"[note 1], this referring to lack of ideas for the game's level design, game components, or both. This game was cancelled soon after being started,[note 1] and did not have a name due to being very early in development.[note 1]
The robot bears a very strong resemblance to the character WALL•E from the Disney-Pixar movie of the same name. The only difference between the two characters are their colour, and that WALL•E has three fingered hands.
- Main article: Paint blowers
Paint blowers also have not appeared in any game. It is highly likely this character was not meant to appear in any game, and was made exclusively for the game artists section of Nitrome.com. Unlike the brain who appears in the same section of the site and has appeared in a game, this character is yet to make an appearance in a Nitrome game. Also, paint blowers appear on the jobs page under "Games Artist".
- Main article: Brains
Brains appear in the image for the job page for the programmer role. Brains - unlike the paint blowers - have appeared in a Nitrome game, but only as a cameo. They appeared as a balloon in Hot Air 2. Since this appearance, they have not appeared in another Nitrome game. However, one did appear in the NES skin.
- This skin remained unnamed until the Winter skin was released, as a link to the Skin Selection page did not exist as there was only one skin.
- The hills in this skin resemble the background of Hot Air.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Information from Nitrome: "They [the spherical creatures] are from a game that we briefly started but then gave up on deciding that there was not enough to it.....it didn't actually have a name as it was too early but you had to navigate a few different robots using the mouse to solve puzzles."
[Due to the construction of the last sentence, it is not known whether the robots were controlled with the mouse and these robots were used to solve puzzles, or the player controlled the robots by some other means and used the mouse to solve puzzles]
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Internet Archive Wayback Machine: Nitrome.com (November 16th 2006) [first crawl of Nitrome.com that has the Classic skin]
- ↑ Internet Archive Wayback Machine: Nitrome.com (November 8th 2006)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Nitrome blog: - Play Pause Ahead! → Nitrome's comment:
Yes the email is real
...where you stated about these creatures that "They are from a game that we briefly started but then gave up on deciding that there was not enough to it.....it didn't actually have a name as it was too early but you had to navigate a few different robots using the mouse to solve puzzles."