Square Meal 2 is the cancelled sequel of Square Meal. Development of the game was started in 2008, although it was later put and hold and forgotten about, only to be rediscovered four years later in 2012. At the time of its rediscovery, there was initial interest in continuing development, but this interest was later lost and the game seemingly cancelled, with Nitrome stating that work on it may continue in the future. By August 2015, Nitrome confirmed that the game had officially been cancelled.
Development of Square Meal 2 started in 2008, with it taking place prior to October 27 of that year, as this was the release date of the Horror skin. The presence of the Weresquare - a new enemy to be introduced in Square Meal 2 - in the Horror skin indicates that development must have been taking place around that time.
At some point after this the game was temporarily put on hold due to the game's programmer leaving Nitrome, and eventually the game was forgotten about. The game was later rediscovered by Nitrome and a Memory Lane Nitrome blog post was written about it. Although Nitrome still said the game was on hold, a continuation of development was uncertain as they were not going to immediately continue work on it but said they may do so in the future.
Although development was still stagnant by June 2012, when asked about a sequel to Square Meal Nitrome said that this was still possible and also presented the possibility of making one different from the sequel that was on hold.  By September 2012 Nitrome shared that it was unlikely they would ever continue work on the game, although they did present the possibility of continuing work on it at a later date.  On August 12th, 2015, Nitrome officially referenced the game as being cancelled.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Game Developer's Blog - Nitrome: Memory Lane!, 25 Jan 12, retrieved 25 Apr 15.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Game Developer's Blog - Nitrome: Icebreaker Now With Achievements! → comment by Nitrome: Orange Troll...good point! He was in the assets for the proposed ( but now not happening) sequel that was started many years back so I guess that's where that came from or maybe Giuseppe just thought it would be fun to make him another colour., 16 Oct 13, retrieved 3 May 15.
- ↑ Nitrome on Facebook: Nitrome - Timeline photos, 7 Jun 12, retrieved 29 Apr 15.
- ↑ Nitrome on Facebook: Nitrome - Timeline photos, 7 Sep 12, retrieved 30 Apr 15.
- ↑ Nitrome on YouTube: Icebreaker Now Has Achievements!: 0:26, 15 October 2013, retrieved 1 June 2020.
|General||Square Meal • Square Meal 2 • Trolls • Food • Blocks|
|Enemies||Mud monsters • Troll skeletons • Shell • Fish men • Weresquare|
|Hazards||Spikes • Slippery floor|
|Removed||Four Play • Hot Air Balloon Maker|
|Cancelled||Mobile Chick Flick • Unnamed robot game • Square Meal 2 • Cheese Dreams direct sequel • Sucknblo • Surface • Plod|
|On hold||Super Feed Me • Flightless|
|Concept only||Jelly Beanstalk • Unofficial NES games|